Arlene Dean Homes specializes in custom new home construction, green-building, and residential remodeling in Decatur, Georgia and other Atlanta neighborhoods. Arlene Dean lives among the Decatur homes she’s built over nearly twenty years – a vibrant streetscape embracing historic Craftsman bungalows and flat-roof contemporary homes alike – and she demonstrates a steadfast commitment to homeowners and the community. The unique mother-daughter general contractor team, Arlene Dean and Leslie Petosa, are hands-on, visiting each job site daily to ensure smooth progress and quickly address any concerns. They bring a detailed eye and proactive approach to each project.
Arlene Dean Homes’ extensive portfolio shows range in scope and style. Craftsman renovations honor their original architecture, while new homes reflect a refreshing blend of contemporary prairie, farmhouse and mid-century designs. By choosing the most desirable neighborhoods, the right design professionals, topnotch contractors, and quality materials, Arlene Dean provides uncommon value relative to comparably priced homes.
In addition to Arlene herself, who started remodeling in the 1980s, other Arlene Dean Homes team members also bring deep knowledge and expertise to each project.
- Arlene’s daughter, Leslie Dean Petosa, general contractor and project manager, has been learning the ins and outs of the construction business for decades, and completed her first renovation project in 2012. In addition to managing building projects, Leslie enjoys a fulfilling career in the medical profession, where she is a practicing anesthesia PA.
- Michael Eubanks, site supervisor, has a background in facilities management and 25 years of framing experience, many with Arlene Dean. He has managed crews and been at the heart of our clients’ home construction, from whole-house ground-up framing, installation of siding, windows and doors, to detailed fabrication of exterior design elements and arts and crafts features.
- Kate Swett, MBA, manages the back office and accounts. She started her career as a project accountant for two downtown Atlanta skyscrapers, spent years in marketing, consulting and account management, and now combines all functions in her work.
Arlene is happy to work with clients’ selected architects and designers on custom projects. When possible, she partners with the following design professionals:
- Architect and green-building consultant, Eric Rawlings, AIA, LEED AP of Rawlings Design, has collaborated with Arlene Dean since 2002, which facilitates a streamlined architectural plan process and quick troubleshooting.
- Award-winning Jeremy Jones of Jones Design Associates guides clients through the design process, working within budget to plan the space and select trims and finishes that will embody the clients’ vision for their home.
Arlene also maintains long-standing relationships with vetted and proven subcontractors, experts in their fields, to ensure consistent accountability and quality.
As a custom residential builder, Arlene Dean provides a continuum of services for all stages and scopes of building:
- Site identification — working with local, knowledgable real estate professionals to find the right property
- Design coordination — collaborating with the architect and interior design team
- Project management — visiting the job site daily, coordinating schedules, and staying on top of budgets
- New construction — ground-up building in new and established neighborhoods
- Whole house renovation — updating and re-envisioning spaces for evolving lifestyles
- Home additions — complementing an existing home and surroundings
The project was complete six months ago – ahead of schedule and under budget – and we are still overjoyed with the results. The work was of excellent quality and we received good advice on the design and execution of the project.
Arlene’s vision for our community has helped transform our streets and communities to what they are today through her craftsmanship and attention to detail. It is such a pleasure to work with her and watch her creations come to life.
Being an architect and interior designer I am naturally very particular, and I chose Arlene Dean to build my Decatur home. I have been in the home design business for over 35 years and have never, in all that time, worked with a finer builder. Arlene was able to take my custom hand drawn plans and build exactly what I designed in under 6 months. The fact that the whole process was a total pleasure was the icing on the cake.
Arlene is a conscientious builder who not only obtains high quality products and services on behalf of her clients, but she shares her savings with them as well. Many builders will purchase our systems at cost and then substantially mark up that price to the homeowner. Arlene operates differently. She sees the value and benefit of our systems and wants her homeowners and buyers to have great water, so she works with everyone to make it happen.
“Having Arlene Dean as our builder was a very positive experience. At our request, she guided us continuously so we could stay within our budget; and she gave us invaluable personal assistance with every selection. We couldn’t be prouder of our new home.”
“Since Arlene Dean began buying building materials from us, she has made it clear that quality comes first. She’s also a savvy purchaser who takes advantage of value pricing, which she passes along to homeowners.”
“Arlene Dean builds relationships that result in custom homes of uncommon value, and we’re honored that she chose us to help make those dreams come true for so many of our friends and neighbors.”
This was our first experience with home construction and it was a great pleasure working with Arlene Dean and her team. Their honest and direct communication kept our project moving smoothly and on schedule. All of our questions, concerns and requested modifications received immediate attention. They always acted with integrity and made adjustments and corrections to ensure that everything was done right. Their commitment to quality was evident throughout the building process. Arlene really helped us create a beautiful home.
Working with Arlene Dean is always a pleasure. With an eye for aesthetics and a depth of construction knowledge, she carefully considers the parameters of each property and its surroundings in order to maximize every advantage. Whether remodels or brand new constructions, her homes stand beautifully on their own while splendidly coexisting among the preexisting houses in the neighborhood.
Arlene Dean delivers the building expertise and product knowledge to construct an eco–friendly home as well as to implement the environmental options that best accommodate a client’s lifestyle goals. Expansive choices range from energy–saving building materials and efficient appliances to water collection and native plant conservation.
The list below is not exhaustive; please contact Arlene Dean Homes for professional consultation.
Advanced framing techniques
Engineered wood (LVL’s, Advantech, I–Beams, I–Joists)
LifeSpan exterior trim
Energy Star rated windows — low E with argon gas
Broad overhangs (controling solar heat gain)
Clerestory windows (maximizing natural light)
Energy–efficient compact fluorescent light bulbs
Programmable thermostats (duel systems upstairs and down)
Tech Shield roof decking
|Environmental/Personal Health Options
Formaldehyde free plywood
Low VOC (volatile organic compound) paints & stains
Rot resistant decking materials
FSC certified wood products
Hepa air filtration systems
Whole house water filtration systems
On–site construction recycling
Recycled glass tile
Low flow plumbing fixtures
Rennai tankless gas water heater
High efficiency Marathon electric water heater with circulatory system
Energy Star appliances
High efficiency furnace and AC systems (13 Seer 98%)